Date of Ordination:July 3, 1993
Father played piano in a band that performed in restaurants and coffee houses. The musical style was described as light rock and ballads.
- What did you do before you became a priest?
"At the feet of Our Lady of Guadalupe ... at the Basilica in Mexico City at a New Year's Retreat in 1981-82".
- When did you receive your call to become a priest?
"Oh yes - many people"!He cites three primary influences:
- Did anyone influence you to consider the priesthood?
- The pastor of his home parish of Holy Cross Church in Guadalajara, where he spent many years as an altar server. This pastor, had a "beautiful personality" and gave a powerful testimony, planting the seed that would one day bear good fruit.
- His parents, Maria de Jesus Delgado and Apolinar Llamas, who gave him a solid foundation in the faith, "taking God into account in every decision".
- The Verbum Dei Missionary Women in the way they related to God, the way they prayed, and proclaimed the Word of God to others.
The Verbum Dei charism of prayer and preaching was what first attracted Father to this community.
The Word of God listened to, assimilated, and lived, transmits the very life of God to us and makes us ONE with the living Word: Christ.
There was no house for Verbum Dei missionary men in Mexico, so Father was referred to Spain. He spent 2 years in the novitiate in Valencia before going to Coimbra, Portugal for his first missionary experience. He was ordained as a deacon in 1992 and then went to Rubio, Venezuela - an Andean village where he lived amongst the people, which he says was a most rewarding experience.
After his ordination as a priest, Father continued his theological studies at the University of
Alcalá de Henares, near Madrid. He was then sent to San Francisco where he spent 5 years as a missionary, working in various parishes throughout the diocese. It was during this time that the Verbum Dei community changed its constitution and Father chose not to renew his vows in that community, but began a period of pre-incardination as a diocesan priest under the spiritual direction of Bishop Richard Garcia, as well as other bishops in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Oakland.
- What attracted you to the Verbum Dei Missionary Fraternity?
No - never lonely or bored. Father enjoys the silence in order to be with Jesus, who is the love of his life.
- Do you ever get lonely? Do you wish you could be married and have children?
Father enjoys movies, traveling, playing the piano.
- What are your hobbies and interests?
"My boyhood pastor - Father Ignacio De Loera".
Favorite Saints: St. John, the Evangelist; St. Francis of Assisi; St. Theresa of Avila.
- Who is a hero to you?
"My ordination to the priesthood was a most unforgettable day".
Father also recalled his mother's passing as a time of great joy and peace. "It may sound strange but that week of my mother's death, being all together with my family, seeing my mother full of the light of God".
Father also cites those moments when he sees the grace of God being passed through his preaching; realizing that God is using him as an instrument to change lives.
- What have been some of the greatest joys for you as a priest?
- What are the most difficult aspects of your job?
Visiting the sick in the hospital". It is hard for Father to see the physical suffering of humanity.
- What is one thing you dream of doing someday?
"Maybe to go to Rome to study for a year - but I think I may be too old!!!"
1. What do you hope to accomplish during your time here at Immaculate Conception?
"My dream is to help Catholics to grow in maturity in the faith; to help them share the faith with others; to be ready to respond to anyone who has questions about the faith."
We welcome Father Llamas to Immaculate Conception Parish!!!
More Pastor's Photos